The reality is that in today’s career environment, Cover Letters are a formality; approximately 50% are never read! Regardless, a Cover Letter is a requirement and important to accompany your resume (regardless of the recipients’ intention) … It will be the first document a Decision Maker | Hiring Professional will read; act as if it will be read and taken seriously.
The objective of the CL is to provide an introduction of your career background, state your intent for applying, a brief explanation on how you would with the organization and how your experience relates to their opening.
Most job seekers do not pay enough attention to the CL and think of it as an afterthought – DON’T. You may have an opportunity to rise above your competition with your CL by drawing in the reader(s) by making it PERSUASIVE.
- A Cover Letter should be 1 page in length and consist of only 3 paragraphs
- Each paragraph should be well-written and condensed to 3-5 lines
- Create bullets and numbered lists to assist readers in scanning
- Use “bolding” to emphasize important points, e.g. increased market share by 300% yr/yr
- Double and triple check to ensure perfection in spelling, grammar and punctuation; hire someone if necessary … Without perfection, all subsequent documents will be trashed
- Hand sign your CL
- Make sure ALL contact information is accurate
In conclusion: the CL MUST COMPEL the Hiring Manager | Decision Maker to want to interview. For more advice, set up an appointment.